The Canberra-class Amphibious Assault Ship gives the Australian Defence Force one of the most capable and sophisticated air-land-sea deployment systems in the world.
These 27,000 tonne ships also known as a Landing Helicopter Docks (LHDs) are 230m long with 15 deck levels. They can land a force of over 1,000 personnel by helicopter and watercraft, along with all their weaponry, ammunition, vehicles and stores.
The ships’ purpose is to:
- Embark, transport and disembark large forces along with their equipment and aviation units
- Carry out and support humanitarian missions
The forum on the Amphibious Assault Ship will include visits to the:
- Bridge and Communications deck
- Combat systems
- Flight deck
- High-voltage power system
- Well deck for loading/unloading
- Machinery space